** Disclaimer ** This took me about 2.5 hours from start to finish to make. Cooking time is 80-90 minutes, the rest was prep time. With that being said, please do not let that scare you away from making this dish! Everyone who tried it LOVED it!!
- 1 Large Eggplant, sliced in 1/4 inch rounds
- 1/2 lb Mushrooms, sliced
- 3 Small Zucchini, sliced lengthwise (I missed this cutting instruction and sliced mine round, so either way works.)
- 2 Sweet Red Peppers, cut into 6 pieces each (I missed this cutting instruction as well, oops.)
- 3 T. Olive Oil
- 1 Clove Garlic, Minced (I use the minced garlic in a jar)
- Pepper and Salt
- 1 (15oz) Ricotta Cheese
- 1/4 C. Parmesan Cheese, grated
- 1 Egg
- 1 (26 oz) Jar Pasta Sauce or Homemade Sauce (Recipe included at bottom of post.)
- 2 C. Mozzarella Cheese, Shredded
- 3 T. Basil (I honestly don’t think I used that much, maybe 1 T.)
- Spread eggplant and mushrooms onto a baking pan. Place zucchini and red pepper on a second pan. Combine oil and garlic, brush over both sides of veggies. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake uncovered at 400 F for 15 minutes.
- Turn over veggies and bake for another 15 minutes.
- Remove eggplant and mushrooms. Bake zucchini and peppers for 5-10 minutes more, until edges are brown.
- In a bowl, combine the ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese, and egg.
- Spread 1/2 cup pasta sauce in a 9x13in glass baking dish. Layer with half ricotta cheese mixture, half veggies, a third of pasta sauce, 2/3 cup mozzarella cheese. Sprinkle with basil.
- Repeat layers.
- Top with remaining pasta sauce. Cover and bake at 350 F for 40 minutes.
- Uncover, sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until edges are bubbly and cheese has melted.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.
This is the pasta sauce I use for spaghetti as well. It is so easy!!
HOMEMADE PASTA SAUCE
- 2 T. Olive Oil
- 1/2 C. Onion, finely chopped
- 2 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1 Can Tomatoes (18oz), crushed
- 1/2 T. Italian Seasoning (or seasoning of choice)
- Place a large heavy pan over moderate heat. Add the oil, garlic, pepper, and onion. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add crushed tomatoes. Add choice of seasonings. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally for 10 minutes.
- Ready to serve.
I hope you enjoy this meal as much as we did! The recipe was taken from “Maximized Living Nutrition Plans“.