I made this dish the other night for dinner. It was just the kids and I home that night. I LOVED it! It was super easy and delicious. The kids ate it in parts; Big Shot ate the chicken with the mayo sauce by itself and Little Miss wanted a sandwich, but then pulled it all apart to eat what looked the best to her. That’s kids for ya. I don’t let my kids discourage me from trying new things. Sometimes they actually end up liking it. 🙂
You can look forward to this wonderful dish on my upcoming Weekly Menu, but for now I am going to give you the recipe. I found this recipe in the magazine “Schnucks Cooks”, Schnucks is a grocery store local to the St. Louis area. I did substitute some of the ingredients to make it more in line with our diet.
- 1 package Turkey Bacon (I cooked the whole package to have leftovers, but half a package would work for this recipe)
- 1 small lemon
- 1/2 cup olive oil mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon basil (or the recipes calls for 3 tablespoon fresh basil, I used tried basil)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Sriracha chili sauce
- 4 Organic boneless, skinless chicken breast (I cut mine in half to make 8 total)
- Buns – Use a bread of your choice: Hamburger Buns, Sandwich Bread, Hoagie Rolls (we used Gluten Free Bagel Thins)
- Spinach leaves
- Roma tomatoes, cut lengthwise
- Avocado, cut in half, pitted, peeled and thinly sliced
- White Cheddar Cheese, sliced.
- Salt and Pepper
- Cook bacon according to directions on package.
- For thinner chicken breast cut chicken horizontally in half. Season with salt and pepper. Grill chicken on outside grill or in a pan on the stovetop until chicken is no longer pink. I cooked mine on low-medium to prevent chicken from burning.
- While chicken is cooking you can prepare the other toppings, cut up tomatoes, avocado, and cheese. Clean spinach leaves.
- In a small bowl combine mayonnaise, basil, chili sauce, and 1 Tablespoon lemon juice; set a side.
- When chicken is done you can start making your sandwich. On bottom bun spread mayo sauce, top with chicken, cheese, spinach, tomatoes, avocado, bacon, and top part of bun.
- Serve with a side of sweet potato chips.
I ended up with plenty of leftovers, here are 2 ways I turned them into lunches.
One day, I made a salad with extra spinach leaves, topped with chicken, tomatoes, cheese, avocado, fresh cilantro, and the mayo sauce as my dressing.
The next day, I made little chicken tacos. I took corn tortillas, toped with cheese and chicken placed in microwave for 1 minute to heat up. I then topped with tomatoes, avocadoes, some fresh cilantro, and sour cream.
Thank you for stopping by and I hope you enjoy this simple summer recipe!!